Don’t Punish Yourself

Eating right and maintaining a healthy lifestyle is a lot harder than it seems. Even if you ate avocado toast for breakfast, you may still get a caramel macchiato on your way to work, completely cancelling out your healthy breakfast. You also will probably tell yourself you’ll just run it off on the treadmill later and it will be fine or you’ll just skip lunch. This is a classic act of binge eating. I’m guilty of it myself and it’s the most common but least talked about eating disorder.

Binge eating is when you eat too much junk food or high calorie foods so you compensate by not eating for a while. By skipping a meal, you’re more likely to over eat on your next one to make up for that lost meal. This creates a vicious cycle of eating too much and then not eating enough. People every day skip important meals from food guilt. You should never feel guilty about eating. If your body is hungry you need to provide it with nourishment, it’s just a fact of life. Doing insane amounts of cardio to make up for overeating is also a form of binge eating. Your body is only built to handle so much physical activity. High performance athletes have to work their bodies up to that level and eat significantly more calories and protein to compensate for the strain they are putting on their body. Intense cardio to rid you of your guilt for eating three doughnuts is not a good idea. This is how you injure yourself and prevent your body from properly nourishing itself.

As Tom Haverford (Aziz Ansari) once said, “treat yo’self.” So what if you ate too much cake. Although it may have screwed up your diet or you had to unbutton your pants, whatever! Don’t feel guilty. It’s natural to have cravings and to overdo it every now and then. Just make sure you stick with a healthier choice for your next meal, but DON’T skip it. That is so much worse for your body than that double cheeseburger. So go ahead, have some brownies. Everyone needs a cheat day!

love B

image by: Kelsey Lee Photography, http://glamdolldonuts.com/special-events-catering/

11 Comments Add yours

1. Keiana says:

Oh trust me, I love a cheat day. I’m recently going vegan and gosh it’s a total lifestyle change.

Liked by 1 person

2. stephanieehmke says:

This is such a good post for me right now. I’m really trying to get into a healthy eating lifestyle. But it’s just so difficult since I’ve always been eating junk food. It’s a work in progress though and I’m trying not to get stuck up on when I eat the junk.
    -Stephanie | http://www.nudelipdiaries.com

Liked by 1 person

3. Preach, girl! As someone currently on a mission to lose 40 pounds (13 down so far so), I have learned the hard way that there are ups and downs in dieting, just like in about everything else in life. The goal is to push pass that dip and keep on moving.

1. Bridget says:

Congrats on the 13 lbs!!! Every little bit counts

Liked by 1 person

4. harcarovai says:

I like your article. I think that the biggest issue is not that people eat too much rubbish but that people don’t move enough and don’t know how to eat. If people would have activities and eat regularly thay would manage cakes and also junk food in their diets ☺️

Liked by 1 person

5. This is so true!! I’m a continual snacker throughout the day, but that’s because I miss breakfast most days (preferring my bed to my kitchen early in the morning), and then come dinner time, which either my husband or I will cook, we aren’t hungry until 8 o’clock!

Liked by 1 person

6. morganmabelle says:

Liked by 1 person

7. Candice says:

This is great! I’m all about finding a healthy twist on my favourite junk food.

Liked by 1 person

8. letnikkitellit says:

Love this I literally just wrote something about this just live and let go the diets

Liked by 1 person

9. I am all about a cheat day and being able to eat what you want! Even though it might not be all the time but its ok to indulge every once in a while 🙂

Felicia Xo

Liked by 1 person

10. AmieeB says:

Ugh, you’re so right. In a couple weeks I hope to slowly start having a healthier lifestyle including eating healthy, and this is a great reminder that in the beginning I won’t be able to transition into eating healthy all the time. And it’s okay to beat something that’s not as healthy. As long as I follow through with my healither lifestyle 🙂

Liked by 1 person